[kde-freebsd] Re: Problems with automounting USB stick

Jason E. Hale bsdkaffee at gmail.com
Mon Feb 21 10:42:50 CET 2011

On Sunday, February 20, 2011 04:01:05 Christian Gusenbauer wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I've a problem automounting an USB stick on KDE 4.5.5 and current. At the
> very first time after booting the machine, I can insert the USB stick and
> the stick will be automounted without problems. But if I unmount it using
> the eject button and remove the stick, it will not be automounted again if
> I reinsert it
>
> :-(.
>
> After reinserting the stick, I get a
>
> Error: org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.PermissionDeniedByPolicy:
> org.freedesktop.hal.storage.mount-fixed auth_admin_keep_always <-- (action,
> result)
>
> It's funny, because HAL thinks that it's a 'mount-fixed' device and not a
> 'mount-removeable' one (which HAL reports at the very first time).
>
> So what's wrong with HAL or my setup? How can I track down that problem or
> is it already a well-known one?
>
> Thanks,
> Christian.

Hi,

I can't explain why HAL would think your USB stick is removable at one point
and then think it is fixed later on, but I do have a USB hard drive that HAL
also thinks is a fixed disk.  Here's how I deal with it:

Here is what my /usr/local/etc/PolicyKit/PolicyKit.conf looks like:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <!-- -*- XML -*- -->

<!DOCTYPE pkconfig PUBLIC "-//freedesktop//DTD PolicyKit Configuration
1.0//EN"
"http://hal.freedesktop.org/releases/PolicyKit/1.0/config.dtd">

<!-- See the manual page PolicyKit.conf(5) for file format -->

<config version="0.1">
    <match user="root">
        <return result="yes"/>
    </match>
    <define_admin_auth group="wheel"/>

    <match action="org.freedesktop.hal.storage.mount-removable">
      <match user="username">
        <return result="yes"/>
      </match>
    </match>

    <match action="org.freedesktop.hal.storage.mount-fixed">
      <match user="username">
        <return result="yes"/>
      </match>
    </match>
</config>

The <match user="username"> sections can be omitted if all users are allowed
to mount devices.

I have also been able to mount my drive without the
<match action="org.freedesktop.hal.storage.mount-fixed"> section by adding the
following line to /usr/local/etc/hal/fdi/policy/preferences.fdi:
<merge key="volume.ignore" type="bool">false</merge>

Cheers,

Jason