[kde-freebsd] Strange KDE4 behavior after updating to -current (solved)

Beech Rintoul beech at freebsdnorth.com
Thu Aug 11 06:42:01 UTC 2011

On Tuesday 09 August 2011 08:02:52 Beech Rintoul wrote:
> I'm having problems with kde4. This is a bit hard to describe, but
> something is blocking input. When I type anything into a webpage, shell,
> or email nothing shows up on the screen until I move the mouse. In the
> case of a shell any command typed neither displays or executes till there
> is mouse movement.
>
> I have rebuilt all the ports and kde4 (several times) but still the same.
> In console everything is fine as it is in xterm. This is a real hair
> puller and I don't have a clue what to check next.
>
> pinnacle# uname -a
> FreeBSD pinnacle.akherb.com 9.0-BETA1 FreeBSD 9.0-BETA1 #2: Sun Aug  7
> 20:48:59 AKDT 2011
> root at pinnacle.akherb.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/PINNACLE i386
>
> Ports tree is up to date and so is kde4. Any help would be appreciated as
> this is almost unusable as it is.

Adding the following to /etc/rc.config seems to fix the problem:

moused_nondefault_enable="NO"

Moused doesn't seem to be playing very nicely with kde4 and disabling it on
startup results in no mouse in KDE. If I start with it disabled I have to
restart dbus, hald and then moused to get things working again. Time to track
down the committer and have a chat.

Thanks,

Beech