[kde-freebsd] Re: Why does qtconfig require so many components?

Raphael Kubo da Costa kubito at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 05:32:15 CEST 2011

Doug Barton <dougb at FreeBSD.org> writes:

> On 04/17/2011 14:24, Raphael Kubo da Costa wrote:
>
>> All the qt4 dependencies are really required, even phonon, as you can
>> configure your Qt-related phonon settings via qtconfig.
>
> It sounds like you're saying that qtconfig must have phonon stuff
> available at compile time because it contains code that is not
> optional that allows you to configure phonon. If so, thank you for the
> explanation, however it turns out that is not correct.

You are right, sorry. qtconfig's code only builds the Phonon-related
parts if Phonon is present.

[snip]

> So this argues pretty strongly for an OPTION in qtconfig to add phonon
> support via those 3 items above. Probably reasonable to default it to
> on in order to match the status quo.

I agree. I've never worked directly on the qt4-* ports, so I think it is
safe to wait for someone else who has to express his opinion here.

> While you're at it, it would be nice to have an OPTION to remove
> qt3support. That module took quite a while to build, and is completely
> useless for me (and I'd imagine most users as well).

Do you mean an OPTION in the qt4-qtconfig port itself? If so, I'm afraid
it's not possible, as qtconfig's code still uses some qt3-compatibility
bits from qt3support.