[kde-freebsd] Re: Why does qtconfig require so many components?

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Mon Apr 18 01:22:48 CEST 2011

On 04/17/2011 14:24, Raphael Kubo da Costa wrote:

> All the qt4 dependencies are really required, even phonon, as you can
> configure your Qt-related phonon settings via qtconfig.

It sounds like you're saying that qtconfig must have phonon stuff
available at compile time because it contains code that is not optional
that allows you to configure phonon. If so, thank you for the
explanation, however it turns out that is not correct.

> If you don't want GStreamer, you can use multimedia/phonon instead of
> qt4-phonon and choose another backend (such as vlc

Ok, I did that, (installed phonon-vlc), but qtconfig still tries to pull
in gstreamer:

===>>> The following actions will be taken if you choose to proceed:
	Install misc/qt4-qtconfig
	Install databases/qt4-sql
	Install devel/qt4-qt3support
	Install multimedia/gstreamer-plugins
	Install multimedia/gstreamer
	Install textproc/flex
	Install multimedia/phonon-gstreamer
	Install x11/qt4-opengl

That would seem to be due to the following:

QT_COMPONENTS=  ... phonon phonon-gst

USE_GSTREAMER= yes

Removing those from the equation still allowed qtconfig to build (and
work). The resulting qtconfig-qt4 had a tab for phonon, but text on that
tab indicated that phonon was not available. So I then tried removing
phonon from my system and rebuilding qtconfig. Same result.

So this argues pretty strongly for an OPTION in qtconfig to add phonon
support via those 3 items above. Probably reasonable to default it to on
in order to match the status quo.

While you're at it, it would be nice to have an OPTION to remove
qt3support. That module took quite a while to build, and is completely
useless for me (and I'd imagine most users as well).

Doug

			-- OK Go