[kde-freebsd] kde media eject ui

Andriy Gapon avg at FreeBSD.org
Tue Apr 5 18:10:54 CEST 2011

First of all, this is of course not a porting issue.  But I would like to run my
thoughts by fellow FreeBSD folks first, to see if they make any sense.

So, KDE provides a very simple UI for unmounting and "ejecting" media.
In this UI the media unmounting and ejecting are fused into a single action, but
the action is a little bit confusing.

First, there is no ejecting with unmounting it seems, which is a little bit
counter-intuitive.
Examples:
1. Empty CD drive.  There is no UI entity representing the drive at all.  Thus it
is impossible to a eject CD drive tray via a UI action.
2. CD drive with some media (disk).  There is a UI element representing the disk,
but there is no eject action available for it.  Only mount/open-with actions are
available.

Only if media is present in CD drive and it is mounted, then we get a UI action to
unmount+eject the disk.  No unmount-only functionality.

Second, removable USB drives.  With these the behavior of KDE UI is practically
the same, except that the action (when available) only unmounts the media.
Is this enough?  I believe not and I am taking behavior of some devices and MS
Windows as a guidance here.
Perhaps everyone remembers behavior of the older Windows versions where "Safely
remove" action would unmount USB media and additionally power off its USB port.  I
am not sure if that was very useful (except for visual clues) and I am not asking
for that.
Newer Windows versions behave differently.  Now the action is called "Eject" and
it really is an eject.  The action can be applied to both mounted and unmounted
media, in the former case the media is unmounted first, then in both cases the
SCSI START STOP UNIT command with the LoEj bits set to EJECT is sent to the device.
Many USB devices understand that command properly and regain control of their
built-in media (in other words, they make it invisible to the PC).  For example,
after such ejecting Kindle3 allows normal usage (reading books) while continuing
to use USB connection for charging.
On FreeBSD I can use "camcontrol eject" command to achieve the same effect, of course.

So, to summarize, I would like to get two things:
1. Eject action always being available for removable media whether it's mounted or
not.
2. Eject action unmounts media iff it's mounted and then issues ejection command
for removable media (both CD and USB).

--
Andriy Gapon