[kde-freebsd] Re: Desktop effects suspended -- KDE4-4.5.1

Rusty Nejdl rnejdl at ringofsaturn.com
Wed Oct 20 20:22:05 CEST 2010

I am open to any ideas on this topic as well. From what I can basically
tell, I am having some sort of CPU leak with XORG. I can restart X (no
need to reboot) and my KDE becomes responsive again. But XORG starts at
around 3% cpu and just keeps creaping up until it will sit over 60%. It
is currently 27% from a restart last night.

> I don't have kmix
open. Disabling desktop effects doesn't appear to have an effect. Chrome
vs firefox has no effect. Removing flash and replacing with gnash had no
effect either.

> Thanks!
> Rusty Nejdl

To reply to myself...

found a bunch of discussions of this affecting other distros besides
FreeBSD. I was able to solve this by doing a combination of the
following:

1) Stop using Oxygen windows decoration

2) Disable blur
affecf

3) Update /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
Section "Screen"
 Identifier
"Screen0"
 Device "Device0"
 Monitor "Monitor0"
 DefaultDepth 24

OPTION "ADDARGBGLXVISUALS" "TRUE"

 SubSection "Display"
 Depth 24

EndSubSection
EndSection

SECTION "EXTENSIONS"
 OPTION "COMPOSITE"
"ENABLE"
ENDSECTION

So far, xorg sitting around 3% cpu now even with
gnash going and actively using my desktop. Perhaps this might help
others with performance issues?

Sincerely,
Rusty Nejdl