[kde-freebsd] Re: Desktop effects suspended -- KDE4-4.5.1

Rusty Nejdl rnejdl at ringofsaturn.com
Wed Oct 20 14:26:45 CEST 2010

On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 11:02:46 +0300, Mike Barnard wrote:

> Hi,

I am running FreeBSD 8.1-STABLE built as of Oct 6 17:34:53 EAT 2010.
Same day as when I did a portsnap and installed the packages needed to
run KDE.

> I am experiencing frequent problems with kde4. It gets
excruciatingly slow and desktop effects keep going down.

> I tailed
.xsession-errors and tried to do what I was doing when it went down and
got this:

> ---------------------------
>> tail -f
/usr/home/mike/.xsession-errors

> kio_imap4(5169)/kio_imap
IMAP4Protocol::~IMAP4Protocol: IMAP4: Finishing
> klauncher(1676)/kio
(KLauncher): SlavePool: No communication with slave.

> QStringList
Solid::Backends::Hal::HalManager::findDeviceByDeviceInterface(Solid::DeviceInterface::Type)
error: "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Disconnected"

> (Pidgin:7160):
Json-CRITICAL **: json_node_get_int: assertion `node != NULL' failed

QStringList
Solid::Backends::Hal::HalManager::findDeviceByDeviceInterface(Solid::DeviceInterface::Type)
error: "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Disconnected"

> kwin(1691)/kdeui
(KIconLoader) KSharedDataCache::Private::mapSharedMemory: Failed to
establish shared memory mapping, will fallback to private memory --
memory usage will increase
> link XMLID_34_ hasn't been detected!

link XMLID_34_ hasn't been detected!
> link XMLID_36_ hasn't been
detected!
> QFont::setPointSize: Point size

I am open to any ideas on
this topic as well. From what I can basically tell, I am having some
sort of CPU leak with XORG. I can restart X (no need to reboot) and my
KDE becomes responsive again. But XORG starts at around 3% cpu and just
keeps creaping up until it will sit over 60%. It is currently 27% from a
restart last night.

I don't have kmix open. Disabling desktop effects
doesn't appear to have an effect. Chrome vs firefox has no effect.
Removing flash and replacing with gnash had no effect either.

Thanks!
Rusty Nejdl