[kde-freebsd] Re: kde4 fails to start after update.

Alex Schuster wonko at wonkology.org
Thu Nov 11 14:35:40 CET 2010

Mike Barnard writes:

> I have upgraded to KDE4-4.5.1 and all its modules and cannot seem to
> startup KDE, I get the following error:
>
> Starting kdm4.
> Updating KDM configuration
> Information: reading pre-existing kdmrc
> /usr/local/kde4/share/config/kdm/kdmrc (config version 2.4)
> Warning: Do not know how to create missing GreeterUID user kdm
> kdm-bin: :0[1763]: Received unknown or unexpected command -2 from
> greeter kdm-bin: :0[1763]: Abnormal termination of greeter for display
> :0, code 1, signal 0
>
> Anyone experienced this?

Google finds some people's reports about the warning message, but it seems
it was not really harmful for them.

>  Attached is my Xorg log file. I removed my xorg.conf file just to
>  make sure that it was not causing this.

It's not a problem with X.org, but with KDM. Maybe your
/usr/local/kde4/share/config/kdm/kdmrc has something in it? I did not
notice something about this in mine, but I'm a Linux user.

I have a kdm user, you probably don't:
uid=116(kdm) gid=102(kdm) Gruppen=102(kdm)

Seems it may be used to run kdm as non-root user, but this is not the case
for me. I'd try to add the user, maybe this works.

If not, you can probably use the startkde to start KDE withut KDM as a
workaround until this is fixed.

	Wonko