[kde-freebsd] Upgrade to recent KDE4.Impossible task?

Max Brazhnikov makc at issp.ac.ru
Mon May 17 21:13:01 CEST 2010

On Mon, 17 May 2010 18:34:41 +0100, Luca Renaud wrote:
> All my attempts to upgrade KDE4 have failed.The most recent stops at redland
> compiling (make stage) and
> then soprano,akonadi,kdelibs-4.4.3...
> Anterior attempts for KDE-4.3.5 stopped during the make stage of
> kdelibs-4.3.5.
> As these are my first attempts to upgrade complex ports using
> portsnap,portmanager etc. am I doing
> something wrong or this is it(it is as it is),and must keep trying until
> things work?

Sometimes updates are not trivial tasks and various port management tools can
not do it automatically. At first, I'd recommend you to use ports-
mgmt/portmaster -- it's well maintained and works flawlessly for me. Check it
manpage and example section.
Before running any portupgrade tool it's worth to read /usr/ports/UPDATING: it
covers cases that can't be resolved without manual interventions, and gives
some useful tips.
If you update ports very seldom, it can be more easy deinstall all ports and
reinstall what you want (portmaster can help here too ;).
Finally, if you still have problems with update, describe what you attempt to
do, post you build log and hopefully we can help you.

Max