[kde-freebsd] libassuan

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Thu May 13 23:59:48 CEST 2010

Please don't strip the cc's, I want to keep everyone involved in the
conversation.

On 05/12/10 14:23, Max Brazhnikov wrote:
> On Wed, 12 May 2010 10:42:49 -0700, Doug Barton wrote:
>> On 05/12/10 07:03, Raphael Kubo da Costa wrote:
>>>
>>> I don't see either kdepim or kdepimlibs depending directly on
>>> libassuan: kdepimlibs looks for gpgme for gpgme++, and kdepim uses
>>> almost the same code to look for assuan (>= 1.0.4) for kleopatra, even
>>> in the 4.4 branch.
>>
>> Excellent! Can you test with libassuan 2.0.0 using the patch above?
>
> checking for gpg-error-config... no
> checking for GPG Error - version >= 1.4... no

Ok, this is fixed with the new patch at
http://people.freebsd.org/~dougb/libassuan-2.diff which includes some
suggestions from Sunpoet Hsieh.

> As for kdepim4 (actually only kleopatra,
> http://docs.kde.org/stable/en/kdepim/kleopatra/index.html ) it will not
> support libassuan2 until kde-4.5.
> It can be build without libassuan support at all, though I don't know what the
> functionality will be lost in this case.

Can someone answer that question?

Meanwhile, I think we have 2 alternatives. For those ports that need
libassuan they are either updated to work with libassuan 2; or we create
a libassuan-1 port and modify those ports which must have libassuan 1 to
work with it. Versions 1 and 2 of libassuan install the following files
in common:
bin/libassuan-config include/assuan.h share/aclocal/libassuan.m4

I would actually kind of like to get rid of the last file altogether
unless it's really needed. As for the first 2 files, a libassuan-1 port
could be modified to install libassuan-1-config and assuan-1.h, and the
ports that have to have version 1 would need to be modified. Ironically,
the library files themselves don't conflict. :)

So, what is everyone's preference? Either way I'd like to get this
wrapped up by the end of the month. It's not realistic to wait until KDE
4.5 to upgrade libassuan/gnupg. Can we hear from the maintainers of
kdepim, dirmngr, and gpa as to your preference (support libassuan 2, or
modify to use a libassuan-1) and what kind of timeline you think is
reasonable?

Thanks,

Doug

			-- Propellerheads