[kde-freebsd] kde4 crash scenario post update to 4.3.5

Rusty Nejdl rnejdl at ringofsaturn.com
Mon Mar 1 16:12:25 CET 2010

On Mon, 1 Mar 2010 15:03:41 +0000, David Southwell <david at vizion2000.net>
wrote:
> i Guys
>
> Thanks in advance - for some help here -- I could sure use some.
>
> I am hoping someone could help me along a bit here.
>
> As my recent posts show I started with quite a number of kde problems
> since the upgrade to 4.3.5.
>
> They were:
> 1. kde4 failed to load properly. Solved by first inserting the new path
for
> startkde in xinitrc then by deinstalling, recompiling and reinstalling
> soprano and oxygen-icons. Then recompiling kdebase4-runtime.
> 2. kde keyboard would not function. Solved by deleting
> .kde4/share/config/kaccessrc
>
> 3. I am left with
>
> Total system crash in the following scenario.
>
> (a) User logs in
> (b) startx
> (c) kde4 loads and use works the session
> (d) user logs out x session terminates.
> (e) user attempts to start a new x seession with:
> (f) startx
> (g) system crashes
>
> Necesaary to reboot the system in single user mode, run fsck -y and then
> bring the system up multi-user!!
>

> Does anyone have any ideas about this one??
>
> Freebsd 7.2 p3 amd64 on intel quad core

David,

What video card are you using?  Are you using NVIDIA's?   The reason I ask
is that I had this problem on AMD64 FreeBSD8 and have reported to NVIDIA.
The system would crash on log out of X.  This was resolved by using an
older video card (still NVIDIA).

Rusty Nejdl
http://networking.ringofsaturn.com