[kde-freebsd] requiring subscription for support (Re: amarok-kde4 dies at start-up)

Raphael Kubo da Costa kubito at gmail.com
Mon Jul 12 23:09:42 CEST 2010

2010/7/12 Mikhail T. <mi+thun at aldan.algebra.com>:
> 12.07.2010 16:54, Raphael Kubo da Costa написав(ла):
>>
>> Isn't it easier to just subscribe to the mailing list?:)
>>

> No, it is not. A user of quite a few packages -- and a supporter of several
> people using quite a few more, I simply can not afford to have my mailbox
> stuffed with routine exchanges of various mailing lists discussing minutiae
> of every package's development, etc.
>
> The practice of requiring one to "subscribe" in order to be able to get
> support is rather disgusting, and I'm glad, FreeBSD mailing lists don't
> impose this requirement -- even if non-member posts are delayed (a
> reasonable anti-spam measure), the delay is short.
>
> Other groups aren't that nice to their users. We are about to find out,
> where do the amarok-developers fall on this criteria...
>>
>> Even if someone else does forward your message, you may not get all
>> replies if people don't CC you.
>>

> I know :-( Perhaps, though, the gist of it -- whether to file a bug-report
> or to try a particular work-around -- will be forwarded to me as well...
> Thanks in advance! Yours,

Well, the situation is the same as if you were not subscribed to the
KDE-FreeBSD (or other FreeBSD-*) mailing lists -- your messages are
allowed after a list moderator looks at the pending requests, however
unless you explicitly ask people to keep you CC'd because you're not
subscribed you're likely to miss quite a few messages as people
usually send their answers only to the list.

You didn't mention that in your message to the amarok mailing list, so
I think most people will assume you're subscribed to the list...