[kde-freebsd] KMail - GPG Integration How-To

Dwayne MacKinnon dmk at ncf.ca
Tue Oct 13 22:35:54 CEST 2009

Hi guys,

I'm not sure how to submit updates for the website. Is there a guide on how to
format things? Because I think I've found a better way to start up gpg-agent
with KDE.

I started researching the problem because at home I have to use kdm so my wife
can have her own account. KDM doesn't read .xinitrc. So I did some research
and found the following method.

Creating an executable file in ~/.kde4/env with the following lines will do
the gpg-agent startup and environment variable propagation perfectly, and will
work both with startx and KDM:

#!/bin/sh

killall gpg-agent #Get rid of old processes.
rm -Rf /tmp/gpg* >/dev/null 2>&1 #Remove stale socket files
eval "$(gpg-agent --daemon --sh)"

You can even put it in /usr/local/kde4/env so that it will start up a process
for any user that logs in. It's multi-user safe... killall only works on
processes that match your own user-id (unless you're the super-user) and the
rm command will dump any messages into /dev/null.

Any thoughts? And if there's a guide out there for creating a website update,
let me know where it is and I'll do a better writeup.

Cheers,
DMK