[kde-freebsd] ensuring KDE svn trunk builds on BSD

Raphael Kubo da Costa kubito at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 23:07:43 CET 2009

On Tuesday 17 November 2009 19:38:42 Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> Hi,
Hey there,

> I'm looking for people who are interested in providing Nightly builds of
>  KDE 4 svn trunk for Solaris.
> Recently we set up cdash dashboards for several KDE modules (kdesupport,
> kdelibs, kdebase, kdepimlibs, kdepim, kdenetwork, kdeadmin,
> kdeaccessibility , kdeexamples) on http://my.cdash.org.
>
> The idea is to build KDE every night on different machines and operating
> systems to make sure it stays building everywhere.
> If something breaks, notification emails with the errors can be sent, e.g.
>  to this list or to the committers.
>
> Until now only me and Volker Krause are providing Nightly builds there, and
> both on Linux. Now most KDE developers are using Linux, so having Nightly
> builds on non-Linux systems is actually even more important.
>
> So, is anybody here interested to run a Nightly build of KDE on
> Free/Net/OpenBSD once per day ?
I'm interested in doing that, as every once in a while I try to compile trunk
and make sure it runs at least on FreeBSD. I believe the FreeBSD team has
something like that for their ports (tinderbox, for example), but that only
compiles the stable releases.

Dear porters (fluffy, tabthorpe, miwi etc), do you have any opinion on this?

Alex, do you think it would be somehow useful for the porters team as well
(porters == packagers) or does it only make sense for KDE developers to make
sure trunk compiles smoothly?

> I still have to document this somewhere, probably on techbase, on how to
>  get this working.
> Short version: check out kdesdk/, there in cmake/scripts/ is a shell script
> Nightlys-2.6.2, which is the shell script which drives the Nightly build on
> my machine. If you open it, the places which have to be changed should be
> obvious, i.e. the path to cmake, setting CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH, and not that
>  much more.
>
> So, if you are interested, please let me know and I'll help with setting it
> up.
> The first step should probably be that you head over to my.cdash.org and
>  get yourself an account there.
Well, I'm interested in helping. What are the next steps?