[kde-freebsd] What's the ETA on Qt 4.5?

David Johnson david at usermode.org
Tue Mar 17 18:02:13 CET 2009

> Heya
>
> I was wondering what the ETA is on Qt 4.5. I am planning to do some work
> that requires 4.5 and I am wondering whether I should wait for that to
> hit the ports or install a local copy in my home directory. If 4.5 in
> the ports is just around the corner, I will wait; otherwise, I will go
> ahead with a local installation.

When I checked this weekend, 4.5.0 is not in area51. So it will be a while
longer before it hits ports.

As some of you may be aware, Nokia has dropped active support of FreeBSD.
It is instead under "community support", meaning it's up to us the FreeBSD
community to fix the bugs we find and submit patches. Bug reports without
patches may be rejected. This wasn't a problem with 4.4, but 4.5 no longer
builds under FreeBSD without a bit of work. Here's what you need to do if
you want to build Qt 4.5.0 on your own.

1) Uninstall Qt 3.3. If this is not possible, temporarily move the Qt 3.3
header files out of the way (/usr/local/lib/q* and
/usr/local/lib/private/q*).

2) Configure Qt 4.5 with the following options (in addition to others you
may normally use):

./configure --no-pch --no-iconv

After this it should be without a problem.Be aware that the --no-iconv
options may result in some character encoding problems.

p.s. If you would like for Nokia/Qt to once again actively support
FreeBSD, please let them know with a polite and diplomatic communication.
If you are a commercial license holder, please please let them know that
as well.

--
David Johnson