[kde-freebsd] kdebindings4 port (Re: KDE 4.2 - Missing printer app?)

Max Brazhnikov makc at issp.ac.ru
Thu Jan 15 19:15:55 CET 2009

On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 11:04:47 -0500, Kris Moore wrote:
> Hey all, I've got a build of KDE 4.2 beta2 running here, and everything
> seems to be working well, just had to fix that annoying anokonadi error
> at first :)
>
> Besides that, I just noticed that I cannot find the new kde printing
> wizard which is supposed to be apart of KDE 4.2 again. Is it not in the
> beta2, or do we have it disabled for some reason in the build right now?

Several kde4 apps including printer-applet is written on python. So PyKDE4,
which is a part of kdebindings, should be ported at first. I had a hope that
Danny Ricin would port it, seems he has no time for py-qt/kde currently.
I've started kdebinding port for kde-4.1.0
(http://people.freebsd.org/~makc/ports/kdebindings-4.1.0.tar.bz2), but have
stopped for lack of time. The port requires a lot of work to fit it for our
ports infrastructure.
Dima Panov has created port for python bindings (see
http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-freebsd/2009-January/004328.html) and
faced with one of the problems.

First, kde4 ports are supposed to be installed in ${KDE4_PREFIX} to prevent
conflicts with kde3. But kdebindings4 in case of python binding should install
files to ${PYTHON_SITELIBDIR}, which is somewhere under ${LOCALBASE}. Same for
ruby and php bindings (don't know anything about java and mono/csharp
bindings). We could try install bindings to ${LOCALBASE}, if bindings
dependent apps would be ok with this (I hope so). Or install them to
KDE4_PREFIX, if python/ruby/etc can live with several PYTHON_*DIR/RUBY_*DIR.

The second problems is how cmake does check for python/ruby. Freebsd ports
provides several versions of python/ruby (and several versions could be
installed in the same time) and kdebindings4 ports should respect that. The
only way I see is to rewrite FindRuby/FindPython.cmake for our needs.

Anyway I think kde-4.2.0 ports should be with at least python and ruby
bindings, so I will restart my work soon. Help is appreciated, especially for
java/csharp bindings (if anybody wants them).

Max