[kde-freebsd] Call for Testing KDE 4.2 for FreeBSD

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Tue Feb 3 19:02:44 CET 2009

David Naylor wrote:
> On Tuesday 03 February 2009 18:44:55 Kris Moore wrote:
>> David Naylor wrote:

>>> I suspect this has something to do with nvidia driver.  If one changes
>>> the fonts to bitstream then anti-aliasing does work (but not with the
>>> default fonts).
>> Have any of you guys been able to get KDE 4.2 to work with the latest
>> Xorg 7.4 in ports, and the nvidia driver? I'm playing with it here, and
>> it always seems to crash X right after KDE finishes logging into my
>> desktop. When I switch to "vesa" it works just fine.
>>
>> Using nvidia 180.25, Xorg 7.4, KDE 4.2, etc.
>
> I had some problems with Xorg and undefined symbols but that was just for
> probing.  Another problem I had was my previous xorg.conf didn't work, I
> needed to provide BusID in my Device section.
>
> Other then that now everything appears fine.  Desktop Effects are working
> without glitch.  I did have some problems logging in, X/KDE just freezes but
> Ctrl-Alt-Backspace and relogin works just fine?
>
> I'm using nvidia-driver-177.80, xorg-7.4 on FreeBSD 7.1 (Nvidia 7600GT x2).
>
> Does you xorg.log say anything useful, have you tried with a new config file
> (Xorg -configure, nvidia-settings)?

No errors, just X crashing and restarting after KDE loads. However, i
think I've figured it out now. We've been using these nvidia driver
options by default to improve performance in kde4:

     Option         "AllowGLXWithComposite" "true"
     Option         "RenderAccel" "true"
     Option         "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "true"
     Option         "UseEvents" "false"
     Option         "TripleBuffer" "1"
     Option         "DamageEvents" "1"
     Option         "BackingStore" "1"
     Option         "PixmapCacheSize" "70000"
     Option         "OnDemandVBlankInterrupts" "true"
     Option         "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "true"

I disabled all of them, and just used the nvidia defaults, and it works
properly now. (Running with nvidia driver 180.25) Most likely one of
those was causing the crash when KDE loaded up. Aside from that, it
seems to be working great now!  KDE 4.2 is a huge step in the right
direction :)

Any word on the kde4 printer app / python work? How about getting the
improved kipi-plugins-kde4 thrown in with area51?

--

Kris Moore
PC-BSD Software