[kde-freebsd] Call for Testing KDE 4.2 for FreeBSD

David Naylor naylor.b.david at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 18:11:38 CET 2009

On Tuesday 03 February 2009 18:44:55 Kris Moore wrote:
> David Naylor wrote:

> >> man fonts-conf? Never had problems with fonts, can't help here :(
> >
> > I suspect this has something to do with nvidia driver.  If one changes
> > the fonts to bitstream then anti-aliasing does work (but not with the
> > default fonts).
>
> Have any of you guys been able to get KDE 4.2 to work with the latest
> Xorg 7.4 in ports, and the nvidia driver? I'm playing with it here, and
> it always seems to crash X right after KDE finishes logging into my
> desktop. When I switch to "vesa" it works just fine.
>
> Using nvidia 180.25, Xorg 7.4, KDE 4.2, etc.

I had some problems with Xorg and undefined symbols but that was just for
probing.  Another problem I had was my previous xorg.conf didn't work, I
needed to provide BusID in my Device section.

Other then that now everything appears fine.  Desktop Effects are working
without glitch.  I did have some problems logging in, X/KDE just freezes but
Ctrl-Alt-Backspace and relogin works just fine?

I'm using nvidia-driver-177.80, xorg-7.4 on FreeBSD 7.1 (Nvidia 7600GT x2).

Does you xorg.log say anything useful, have you tried with a new config file
(Xorg -configure, nvidia-settings)?