[kde-freebsd] several kde questions

Rusty Nejdl rnejdl at ringofsaturn.com
Tue Dec 29 05:03:14 CET 2009

I didn't notice any other responses to this and am interested in this
thread soooo....

On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 14:05:51 -0500, "remodeler"
<remodeler at alentogroup.org>
wrote:

> I've used kde4 on freebsd7/8 for about a year now, and have never gotten
> around to tracking down some little things that bug me. I wonder if
anyone
> could point me in the right direction on these things.
>
> (1) I can only start one instance of konsole. If I start a second
instance
> from either a shortcut or the menu, it flashes on the screen and goes
> away. It
> doesn't matter if I've closed the first instance or not.

I'm not seeing this behavior at all.

> (2) How do I get icons for applications I install to show up in the
menu?
> I've
> been manually searching for the icons, and then using Menu Editor to add
> the
> icon file to the program.

I would love to know the answer to this as well.  I do the same and find
it annoying.

> (3) I build from source - the way I've been building GUI programs is to
> build
> the source from the ports tree, and then use Menu Editor to manually
point
> the application (like in /usr/local/bin). Is this the right way to add
new
> gui
> apps?

Same here.

> (4) I can't get sound to work for the life of me. I had it up for a few
> days,
> and then nothing - seems like kde has a few different sound subsystems
that
> conflict with each other.

I don't use pulseaudio at all and it works great as a result.  I suggest
you remove it and rebuild kdemultimedia4.

> (5) Is there a way to get java apps to automatically launch after a
reboot,
> like other compiled apps do?

You mean when you log into kde, right?  I've noticed that kde is picky
about what it will relaunch and what it won't, such as firefox.

> (6) My USB mouse and keyboard periodically crap out, and I have to plug
in
> PS/2 devices. Rebooting usually solves the problem. It's sporadic and
seems
> like it might be related to the sound problems (both use hald?). They
work
> fine if I reboot to single-user mode, it seems like a kde problem.

I haven't noticed the behavior in probably 5 years.  This is NOT a kde
problem.

> (7) how do I get a fancy desktop theme, like 3-d wallpaper? I see some
> stuff
> that's installable, but can't figure it out (I use the "Appearance
> Settings"
> option to set wallpaper to a static image file at present).
>
> thank you.

You can use the Marble program as a background.  Is that what you are
asking about?