[kde-freebsd] several kde questions

remodeler remodeler at alentogroup.org
Fri Dec 18 20:05:51 CET 2009

I've used kde4 on freebsd7/8 for about a year now, and have never gotten
around to tracking down some little things that bug me. I wonder if anyone
could point me in the right direction on these things.

(1) I can only start one instance of konsole. If I start a second instance
from either a shortcut or the menu, it flashes on the screen and goes away. It
doesn't matter if I've closed the first instance or not.

(2) How do I get icons for applications I install to show up in the menu? I've
been manually searching for the icons, and then using Menu Editor to add the
icon file to the program.

(3) I build from source - the way I've been building GUI programs is to build
the source from the ports tree, and then use Menu Editor to manually point to
the application (like in /usr/local/bin). Is this the right way to add new gui
apps?

(4) I can't get sound to work for the life of me. I had it up for a few days,
and then nothing - seems like kde has a few different sound subsystems that
conflict with each other.

(5) Is there a way to get java apps to automatically launch after a reboot,
like other compiled apps do?

(6) My USB mouse and keyboard periodically crap out, and I have to plug in
PS/2 devices. Rebooting usually solves the problem. It's sporadic and seems
like it might be related to the sound problems (both use hald?). They work
fine if I reboot to single-user mode, it seems like a kde problem.

(7) how do I get a fancy desktop theme, like 3-d wallpaper? I see some stuff
that's installable, but can't figure it out (I use the "Appearance Settings"
option to set wallpaper to a static image file at present).

thank you.