[kde-freebsd] Qt 4.5 and GNU iconv [SOLUTION]

David Johnson david at usermode.org
Tue Apr 7 21:41:28 CEST 2009

> SOLUTION 1:
> Disable libiconv support altogether.  This, I believe, is a viable solution
> since Windows does not have iconv and we should be using whatever fallback
> it does.  This should result in no loss of functionality.

This is what I am doing for non-port builds of 4.5.0. It's also what's
currently in area51 branch for 4.5.

> SOLUTION 2:
> The attached files restore the behaviour of the previous code. This
> probably will result in a performance loss (but remain par with Qt4.4.3).
> Since the changes are isolated to those two files and the API has not
> changed (for QTextCodec) this should not negatively affect anything. I've
> tested this with qtdemo and everything works fine.

It looks like you restored the 4.4.3 implementation. That may be the best
way to go for the immediate future. I would rather see it get fixed in the
sources, however, but Nokia is not going to accept a patch that rolls back
to 4.4.3.

The new implementation uses thread local storage, and I wonder if it
behaves differently in FreeBSD than what the Trolls expect.

--
David Johnson