[kde-freebsd] Qt 4.5 and GNU iconv

David Naylor naylor.b.david at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 20:02:20 CEST 2009

On Friday 03 April 2009 18:08:06 David Johnson wrote:
> On Thursday 02 April 2009 01:46:24 pm David Naylor wrote:
> > > I configure Qt with --no-iconv for exactly this reason.
> >
> > Is there any functionality lost?  Do you see *any* square blocks after
> > doing this?
>
> I'm not seeing any squares. But I don't have a lot of documents in
> non-latin1 codecs.

I had a closer look and it appears that Qt does distinguish between glibc and
GNU libiconv.  I didn't see anywhere it treats them differently (but didn't
look either).

What I did see is that Qt has a fall back for systems that don't have iconv
(such as Windows, and since it doesn't work for us, FreeBSD).  This should
mean, functionality wise, there will be no difference with and without
libiconv.

What is the course of action from here?  Complain to Qt Software, hope someone
sorts it out or ignore the problem?  Oh and how does one file a bug with Qt
Software?

I've almost finished the build from area51/qt-4.5 and will post the diff
required to get it to work :-).