[kde-freebsd] KDE4 Slowdowns examined further

Hannes Hauswedell list_kde-freebsd at soulrebel.in-berlin.de
Tue Sep 16 23:11:35 CEST 2008

Hi Kris,

> If I run the above command, my bouncy cursor loads within milliseconds
> and dolphin loads immediately, no delay at all. So if my thinking is
> correct here, then somewhere between the time when I click or
> double-click, and a signal is generated, there is a 1-3 second delay
> before the request makes it to dbus, and the action is taken.  This
> applies pretty much universally throughout KDE4 it appears, often
> programs run really fast, but when they start doing external messaging,
> thats were the slowdown occurs.

from my PoV problems could well be related to klauncher. AFAIK Klauncher does
a lot of the message handling and I do have other issues with klauncher. It
regularly crashes, which one doesnt realise immediately because it is
restarted automatically, but you can check your home for core-dumps.
Unfortunately the core-dumps I had arent really helpful (maybe no debugging
symbols).
Also my Applications don't really quit but stay as procs in the background
after being closed, mostly to crash when i log out. That might be related to
klaunchers app-handling so I mentioned it (don't want to spam every thread
with unrelated problems ;) ).

> So the question is, how do we fix it? Where should I be looking
> code-wise to find where all KDE messages pass through? Also, I haven't
> run KDE4 on Linux, is this problem there as well, or just specific to
> FreeBSD?

All Linuxes I saw so far have a much better performance, but I havent tried on
same Hardware.

> Should I refer this to some other KDE bug / developer list to help
> examine this bug?

Hm, maybe we should get more info and gather some more people with the same
problems... so that at least other KDE-devs get the impression, that there are
people suffering the issues, not just a minority.

Greetings
Hannes