[kde-freebsd] KDE4 Slowdowns examined further

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Tue Sep 16 16:17:14 CEST 2008

I've been doing some more investigation into some reported KDE4 slow
downs, and am now pretty sure that its all related to the internal
messaging in KDE, maybe related to how it talks to dbus. Here's what
I've found so far:

First, one of the major areas where you notice the "slowness" is when
you click on the start button to launch kickoff, or when you click an
icon on your folderview on the desktop. It seems like after you click or
double-click something to launch, it takes anywhere from 1-3 seconds
before the cursor changes, and the program actually starts launching. If
you open up a konsole session and run "tail -f .xsession-errors" and
then try to launch an application this way, you'll see what I mean. It
takes a few seconds before kdeinit4 gets the notification that we have
double-clicked to start an application.

At first I thought this was a problem with dbus, but I've done some more
digging and found that launching the exact same command / app from qdbus
is instantaneous:

# qdbus org.kde.klauncher /KLauncher org.kde.KLauncher.kdeinit_exec
"dolphin" "" "" ""

If I run the above command, my bouncy cursor loads within milliseconds
and dolphin loads immediately, no delay at all. So if my thinking is
correct here, then somewhere between the time when I click or
double-click, and a signal is generated, there is a 1-3 second delay
before the request makes it to dbus, and the action is taken.  This
applies pretty much universally throughout KDE4 it appears, often
programs run really fast, but when they start doing external messaging,
thats were the slowdown occurs.

So the question is, how do we fix it? Where should I be looking
code-wise to find where all KDE messages pass through? Also, I haven't
run KDE4 on Linux, is this problem there as well, or just specific to
FreeBSD?

Should I refer this to some other KDE bug / developer list to help
examine this bug?

--

Kris Moore
PC-BSD Software