[kde-freebsd] KDE4 useability

Thomas Abthorpe tabthorpe at freebsd.org
Thu Mar 27 15:15:54 CET 2008

On Thursday 27 March 2008 10:00:20 Outback Dingo wrote:
> I downloaded and extracted the area51 cvs and ran make install i x11/kde4
> all went well and installed in /usr/local/kde4
>
> running startx did bring up kde4 the first time, but every succesive
> attmept at restarting kde4 fails with various cant connect to dbus
> messages, dbus is installed and running also. So Im finding it (KDE4) quite
> unusable, are you having the same issues, or did i miss something???
>
> kwin: Fatal IO error: client killed
> ksmserver: Fatal IO error: client killed
> finished PLL1
> Entering Restore TV
> Restore TV PLL
> Restore TVHV
> Restore TV Restarts
> Restore Timing Tables
> Restore TV standard
> Leaving Restore TV
> FreeFontPath: FPE "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/misc/" refcount is 3, should be
> 2; f
> ixing.
> xinit:  connection to X server lost.
> Hangup
> GOT SIGHUP
> Could not connect to D-Bus server: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.FileNotFound:
> Fail
> ed to connect to socket /var/tmp/dbus-nrEhL5B3Gu: No such file or directory
> startkde: Shutting down...
>
> > kdeinit4_wrapper: Warning: connect(/home/dingo/.kde/socket-
>
> misery.optimlabs.co
> m/kdeinit4__0) failed: : No such file or directory
> Error: Can't contact kdeinit4!
> startkde: Running shutdown scripts...
> kdeinit4: sending SIGTERM to children.
> kdeinit4: Exit.
>

> kdeinit4: sending SIGTERM to children.
> kdeinit4: Exit.
> finished PLL2
> finished PLL1
> Entering Restore TV
> Restore TV PLL
> Restore TVHV
> Restore TV Restarts
> Restore Timing Tables
> Restore TV standard
> Leaving Restore TV
> FreeFontPath: FPE "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/misc/" refcount is 3, should be
> 2; f
> ixing.
> xinit:  connection to X server lost.
> Hangup
> GOT SIGHUP
> Could not connect to D-Bus server: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.FileNotFound:
> Fail
> ed to connect to socket /var/tmp/dbus-oBP5D3IEJF: No such file or directory
> startkde: Shutting down...
>
> > kdeinit4_wrapper: Warning: connect(/home/dingo/.kde/socket-
>
> misery.optimlabs.co
> m/kdeinit4__0) failed: : No such file or directory
> Error: Can't contact kdeinit4!
> startkde: Running shutdown scripts...

There is a known issue with that. Run the following command

ps -axuf | grep -i kded

You will see there is a lingering process that hinders restart. Kill that
errant process, and you will have restart.

Thomas

- --
Thomas Abthorpe		| FreeBSD Committer
tabthorpe at FreeBSD.org	| http://people.freebsd.org/~tabthorpe