[kde-freebsd] K3B device issue

Don Wilde dwilde1 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 9 18:49:34 CET 2008

On Sun, Mar 9, 2008 at 12:16 PM, Ion-Mihai Tetcu <itetcu at freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Sun, 9 Mar 2008 09:27:59 -0500
> "Don Wilde" <dwilde1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Mar 9, 2008 at 5:31 AM, Ion-Mihai Tetcu <itetcu at freebsd.org>
> > wrote:

>  [ .. ]
>
> Does this mean that you can put in a data DVD and do
>  > mount_cd9660 /dev/cd0 ~/cdrom
> (as user 'din' and with cd0 not acd0) ?

Yes, correct. It mounts correctly by user din using atapicam driver and
/dev/cd0. The mount point is owned by din:wheel, the files are root:wheel
(dvd was burned using iso made by root using mkisofs and burned as iso
image. Same drive, same computer, DesktopBSD OS)

> > Error is that everything seems to work except that it can't see the
> > medium in the drive.
>
> "K3B is not recognizing my DVD device" - you can't burn ? Or you can't
> mount a data CD/DVD via K3B ? Does this happen only for CDs or only for
> DVDs ?

I can't mount  DVD using k3b. Can successfully mount and unmount from
command line, but not through k3b Device->Mount command. Cannot mount CD-R
either.

The visible symptom of all of this is that the disk line never strays from
'Please insert an empty writable DVD+-R/W medium... and the speed pulldown
is always grayed. The start button is also grayed out.

> If you go in Settings -> Configure K3B -> Devices what do you see ?

The proper device as /dev/cd0, with every option available except dual-layer
dvd+r.

> I'm asking this because from what I see from your K3B output things
> look fine: your device is detected, queried, the drive type and
> capabilities are returned, the dual session DVD in it is also
> identified, etc.
>
> > One final clue: when k3b run as local user, following message shows
> > up in shutdown sequence (after kde exits)
> >               acd0: WARNING unknown CMD 0xac read data overrun 24 > 8
>
> I'm getting with no adverse effect each time a DVD is accessed (but not
> for CDs):
>  acd0: WARNING - unknown CMD (0xac) read data overrun 8>0

Yes, that's more accurate except for the 24 > 8 in my case. I was writing
while it was disappearing. :)))

> > several times. These seem to correspond (maybe?) to this:
> >
> > QGDict::hashKeyString: Invalid null key
> > QGDict::hashKeyString: Invalid null key
> > k3b: ERROR: : couldn't create slave : Unable to create io-slave:
> > klauncher said: Unknown protocol ''.
> > k3b:
> > (K3bDevice::DeviceManager) request for empty device!
> >
> > It does seem to detect the medium, based on what I see in k3b console
> > log, but it never gets to the point where it acknowledges in the GUI
> > that it's found it.
> >
> > Thanks in advance for your assistance! :D
>

> > ########################################
> > # output of k3b run as local user
> >
> > [din at freelynx /usr/home/din]$ k3b
> > [din at freelynx /usr/home/din]$ kdecore (KAction): WARNING:
> > KActionCollection::KActionCollection( QObject *parent, const char *name,
> KInstance *instance )
> > k3b: (K3bCdrecordProgram) could not start /opt/schily/bin
> > k3b: (K3bMkisofsProgram) could not start /opt/schily/bin
> > k3b: (K3bCdrecordProgram) could not start /home/din/bin
> > k3b: (K3bMkisofsProgram) could not start /home/din/bin
>
>  [ .. ]
>
> Those /home/din/bin come from where ?

It's in my path from the default FreeBSD 6.3 configuration. That's a little
strange, because most of my bash prompts and `pwd` give me /usr/home/bin,
although with ln -s /home is linked to /usr/home. Neither way is there a
~/bin directory. I just created one. All the cd* executables are in
/usr/local/bin.

> > (K3bDevice::openDevice) open device /dev/pass0 succeeded.
> > (K3bDevice::ScsiCommand) transport command 0, length: 6
> > (K3bDevice::DeviceManager) request for empty device!
> > k3b: (K3bProjectManager) adding doc /DataDVD0
> > (K3bDevice::openDevice) open device /dev/pass0 succeeded.
> > (K3bDevice::ScsiCommand) transport command 0, length: 6
> > (K3bDevice::openDevice) open device /dev/pass0 succeeded.
> > (K3bDevice::ScsiCommand) transport command 0, length: 6
> > (K3bDevice::openDevice) open device /dev/pass0 succeeded.
> > (K3bDevice::ScsiCommand) transport command 0, length: 6
>
> Everything looks fine until here.
>
> > QGDict::hashKeyString: Invalid null key
> > QGDict::hashKeyString: Invalid null key
> > k3b: ERROR: : couldn't create slave : Unable to create io-slave:
> klauncher said: Unknown protocol ''.
> > k3b:
>
> Here it is a problem.
>
> > crw-rw-rw-  1 root  operator  -   0, 101 Mar  9 08:09 /dev/cd0
> > lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel     -        4 Mar  9 08:09 /dev/cdrom ->
> > acd0
>
> What about (should be fine from k3b output):
>  # ll /dev/pass0 /dev/xpt0
> crw-rw-rw-  1 root  operator    0,  97 Mar  7 01:13 /dev/pass0
> crw-rw-rw-  1 root  operator    0,  96 Mar  7 01:13 /dev/xpt0

The same here.