[kde-freebsd] News on Performance-Problems

Hannes Hauswedell lists_kde-freebsd at soulrebel.in-berlin.de
Sun Jul 27 19:54:53 CEST 2008

Am Sonntag 27 Juli 2008 16:38:45 schrieb David Johnson:
> On Sunday 27 July 2008 06:28:11 am Hannes Hauswedell wrote:
> > Performance is bugged on FreeBSD and a low-level
> > Qt-Performance-Problem could explain many of the problems we are
> > encountering. E.g. JuK takes 5minutes to even show the application
> > window on my system :(
>
> I am not seeing this. My results:
>
> Test 1: create 2M connections
> started at 09:34:53
> finished at 09:35:01

That is on Qt4.4.0? And on Qt4.3. ? I know you have to downgrade to
test, but if you backup your current pkgs its easy to restore.

>  I have noticed some definite slowness to KDE4, but it is not in
> startup but in actual performance. JuK starts up just as fast as any
> other program. In terms of pure Qt4 ports, I have seen no slowdown at
> all (though there are some definite bugs in 4.4.0).

Hm, how do you explain the results I get? No matter whether KPorts needs
240k connections, a slow-down of multiple minutes vs seconds just
depending on the qt-version is definitely a bug in Qt.

JuK takes 5minutes to start (5 Minutes to actually show the main
window!), on a CoreDuo at 1.66Ghz. That isnt right!
Opening a Directory or Webpage in Konqueror also has slowdown that could
be related to memory allocation and connection-creation, since I guess
konqueror does a lot of that when loading a web-page...

Hannes