[kde-freebsd] some notes on KDE 4.0.98

Rene Ladan r.c.ladan at gmail.com
Mon Jul 21 22:10:58 CEST 2008

Hi,

here is my list of issues with KDE 4.0.98 with FreeBSD 7.0R i386 :

* Building it:
  OK, except that I had to set WITH_BDB_VER=42 for textproc/redland.  The port
  depends on version 4.2, but the default version seems to be 4.1.  So the
  build instructions would be:
  - install devel/qt4
  - install multimedia/phonon, replacing multimedia/qt4-phonon (i.e. the -o
    option of portmaster/portupgrade)
  - install x11/kde4
  - set up kdm/xinit files as described in the wiki

* Running it:
  - There is no KDM executable?
  - kpackage (from kdeadmin) bails out with a message that it requires the
    SMART Package Manager to function (is the latter ported?)
  - switching user (as kde4, which is only in its own group), doesn't seem
    to work (the desktop locks, unlocking it works)
  - when editing system settings using the control panel as kde4, KDE su
    doesn't show up, but it does show up when editing the same setting
    (automatically set the date/time) as rene (which is in the wheel group)
  - the partition editor doesn't show anything (this should be something like
    the output of df(1), right?).
  - no sound with juk (I do have sound with xfce4-media), but that might be
    because of a wrongly configured backend.

That's all for now...

Regards,
Rene
--
http://www.rene-ladan.nl/

GPG fingerprint = E738 5471 D185 7013 0EE0  4FC8 3C1D 6F83 12E1 84F6 (subkeys.pgp.net)