[kde-freebsd] Question about Phonon Backends

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.com
Mon Jul 14 01:28:11 CEST 2008

I'm curious about something here, and hopefully somebody can provide a
bit of clarification.

Right now I'm having to build the qt4-phonon-gst port in order to enable
the gstreamer backend and get working sound. It seems to work fine, but
now I'm finding out that KsCD doesn't work with direct digital playback
using the gstreamer backend. (I think its missing some functionality at
this point). When I switch to the Xine backend, the direct digital
playback appears to work (I.E. it tries to play), but there is no
working sound from xine, things only appear to be playing, but I never
hear anything.

My questions are thus:

Should the xine backend be functional right now? Am I missing something
which is preventing xine from working and should I be working on fixing
that?

OR

Should I stick with gstreamer, and try to figure out why the plugin
appears to be missing some functionality?

--

Kris Moore
PC-BSD Software