[kde-freebsd] KDE4 is out, I'm back, let's get cracking

Tilman Linneweh arved at FreeBSD.org
Mon Jan 14 18:49:23 CET 2008


* Michael Nottebrock [2008-01-14 18:31]:
> I was and still am rather short on time and will not nearly be able to
> put full days of work into KDE at the moment, but now that the escape
> has occured, there's something substantial to work with at last.

I am short on time either. But hope to have more time for FreeBSD in the
semester holidays in February.
> Steps to KDE4 as I see them:
> Step 0 is tying up some loose ends like updating Qt4 to the latest
> version and the like - arved, I saw you committed checksums, I can take
> it from here if you want me to - I have some scripts lying around for
> updating Qt4 rather painlessly and also still have access to fruitsalad
> for checking/generating plists.

That would be great. So far, i just made a make package-recursive and it
seemed to work, so there should not be that many changes. At the moment
we are IIRC still in ports-semifreeze, so it is not that urgent to get
this commitready.
> Step 1 is deciding what to do about that nice boulder that Novell^WKDE
> rolled in our path: prefixes. You cannot build KDE4 in same prefix as
> KDE3. Period. You cannot easily build KDE4 either if KDE3 is in
> /usr/local and if Qt3 is in /usr/local and KDE4 is supposed to end up
> somewhere in /usr/local. I'd like to hear about experiences from people
> who already built large parts of KDE4 on systems with KDE3 installed -
> how much effort and hackery do we need to make things build with leaving
> Qt3 where it is? Would it be worthwhile to just make a clean cut and
> move Qt3, Qt4 and KDE3 into their own subdir below /usr/local after all?
> I am prepared to do it, if need be (I suppose nobody wants to go down
> the CONFLICTS road).

How about this: we first build packages in a KDE4only environment for
testing without messing with PREFIX, but make it easy to switch the
PREFIX (Like making everything dependant on ${KDEBASE} or something). So
we can delay the final decision until we are about to commit it to the
FreeBSD ports repo. 

Maybe until we are ready some of the prefix issues have been resolved by

regards tilman

More information about the kde-freebsd mailing list