[kde-freebsd] KDE4 is out, I'm back, let's get cracking

Michael Nottebrock lofi at freebsd.org
Mon Jan 14 17:30:27 CET 2008

Hi guys,

I was and still am rather short on time and will not nearly be able to
put full days of work into KDE at the moment, but now that the escape
has occured, there's something substantial to work with at last.

Steps to KDE4 as I see them:

Step 0 is tying up some loose ends like updating Qt4 to the latest
version and the like - arved, I saw you committed checksums, I can take
it from here if you want me to - I have some scripts lying around for
updating Qt4 rather painlessly and also still have access to fruitsalad
for checking/generating plists.

Step 1 is deciding what to do about that nice boulder that Novell^WKDE
rolled in our path: prefixes. You cannot build KDE4 in same prefix as
KDE3. Period. You cannot easily build KDE4 either if KDE3 is in
/usr/local and if Qt3 is in /usr/local and KDE4 is supposed to end up
somewhere in /usr/local. I'd like to hear about experiences from people
who already built large parts of KDE4 on systems with KDE3 installed -
how much effort and hackery do we need to make things build with leaving
Qt3 where it is? Would it be worthwhile to just make a clean cut and
move Qt3, Qt4 and KDE3 into their own subdir below /usr/local after all?
I am prepared to do it, if need be (I suppose nobody wants to go down
the CONFLICTS road).

Step 2 will be getting all the modules to build and to run somewhat
reasonably. It will be just like the old days, lots of swearing and
patching and 80% of KDE working in the beginning and 95% of KDE working
just before KDE5 will come out. :)

Step 3 will be cutting up the distribution modules into smaller pieces
whereever possible/sensible and possibly write a kde.mk for the task.

Step 4 will be then dumping KDE4 into ports. I fully expect that the
first version of KDE4 to be committed to ports will *not* be 4.0.0, but
I have been wrong before.

Comments, flames, additions?

Cheers,
   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi at freebsd.org