[kde-freebsd] Status of KDE4 on FreeBSD

Danny Pansters danny at ricin.com
Mon Feb 25 01:35:54 CET 2008

Sorry, one more comment, about a different subject..

On Monday 25 February 2008 00:17:19 Martin Wilke wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 10:44:03PM +0100, Adriaan de Groot wrote:
> > I've been away, watching only the commits to area51 now and then. At
> > FOSDEM I mostly fiddled with OSOL thingies, but fielded a few FreeBSD
> > questions as well, along the lines of "how well does KDE4 work on FreeBSD
> > right now?" I answered "ports are in preparation, which means it 'just
> > works'; certainly the basic desktop is in place with audio and web
> > browsing and stuff." Is that at all accurate?
> >

> > Do systemsettings and system info give sensible answers at all?
>
> Hi Adriaan
>
> Last week I've Blogged about the KDE4 status on FreeBSD.
> (http://miwi.bsdcrew.de/2008/02/21/freebsd-kde4-status/)
>
> Generally KDE4 works ok here, but we have a Big list of open tasks.
>
> Some Open Issues:
>   * The checks cmake does against library versions (xine/samba/qca2) is
> broken. (example: Xine: xine-lib v1.1.10 was found on your system.
>         This version is known to have problems when playing short
> 	sounds. Consider upgrading to version 1.1.9 or above.)
>    * kopete Crash with video session (we need here someone with a webcam
> :P) * The network folder in kopete does not connect to ssh/ftp$
>    * kcd crashes at start
>    * The Ctrl key does not seem to work like it should (US Keyboardlayout).
>    * System Monitor crashes
>    * Desktops Effects cause X11 to crash (with nividia)

I have seen and read about problems with libxcb when (Q?)Xembed is used. That
might be relevant here. They seem thread-related (known problems with xine in
the past, which uses embedding, and I've seen similar a while ago when I had
experimentally built qt4 with libxcb and in both kbtv1 and kbtv2 if the video
was playing in the embedded SDL viewer, if I would for example resize a modal
window it would crash. I'm afraid that the libxcb (freedesktop?) people got a
little too enthusiastic when exterminating X threading problems (when more
than one thread touches the same screen item) and this may not be entirely
made fallout-free. What I mean is that properly threaded apps using embedding
(and thus are itself responsible for thread safety -- not X) may be
considered faulty by libxcb leading to crashes.

I'm not sure if that is or will be relevant in a KDE4 context, but I would
like to let you know what I've gathered about this. It may be a potential
problem and we get to see systemic problems with (Q)Xembed then this is one
place to look.

Dan