[kde-freebsd] Prefix decisions redux

Andy Fawcett andy at athame.co.uk
Fri Feb 15 19:50:32 CET 2008

On Friday 15 February 2008 20:11:06 Michael Nottebrock wrote:
> Tilman Linneweh schrieb:
> > * Andy Fawcett [2008-02-15 15:17]:
> >>
> >> I think we need to do this, to make life easier in the long run.
> >>
> >> The one thing that concerns me is that we do have users who don't start
> >> KDE from kdm scripts, or even run a KdE desktop at all. Having the
> >> binaries in a non-standard path (either KDE3 or 4) is going to cause
> >> them problems.
> >
> > Indeed. But if we want have both in /usr/local/bin we have to add 3 or 4
> > to the binary names.
>
> Suffixing binaries unfortunately is not fully supported in either KDE3
> or KDE4. Autoconf can be made to suffix the binaries relatively easy,
> but not to update the desktop files with those suffixed names. Not
> having any KDE binaries in /usr/local/bin is ugly, too. So I think we
> will have to choose which KDE version we want in bin and which we want
> in a subdirectory beneath bin. Personally, for POLA's sake, I would keep
> KDE3 binaries where they are and put KDE4's binaries into bin/kde4 and
> move them up to bin later - once KDE3 vanishes or has become clearly
> less popular.

That sounds reasonable. I think from the discussions, one possibility is

/usr/local/bin -> kde3 binaries
/usr/local/include/kde3 -> kde3 includes
/usr/local/lib/kde3 -> kde3 libraries
/usr/local/lib/kde3/kde -> kde3 plugins

This should be quite possible with kde3, with the --bindir etc.

/usr/local/include/kde4 -> kde4 includes
/usr/local/lib/kde4 -> kde4 libraries
/usr/local/lib/kde4/kde -> kde4 plugins
/usr/local/bin/kde4 -> kde4 binaries

I think this is possible with kde4, not had time to look yet.

I really would like separation of kde3 and kde4, I'm not convinced that they
can co-exist well together (my area51 builds still don't complete on the box
with kde3 installed, not had time to chase further).

And I would pull a similar trick with Qt, whether it is needed or not for
mainstream KDE. There's no telling what third-party app writers will do, and
this would save quite some time in porting later.

Andy Fawcett                                     | andy at athame.co.uk
"In an open world without walls and fences,      | tap at lspace.org
  we wouldn't need Windows and Gates."  -- anon  | tap at fruitsalad.org