[kde-freebsd] Prefix decisions redux

David Johnson david at usermode.org
Fri Feb 15 17:33:42 CET 2008

On Friday 15 February 2008 06:18:25 am Andy Fawcett wrote:
> On Friday 15 February 2008 15:38:28 Tilman Linneweh wrote:
> > If it is possible i would vote for the (include|lib|bin)/kde3 solution.
> > But /usr/local/kde3 would be ok too.
>
> I think we need to do this, to make life easier in the long run.

Ditto. I prefer the /usr/local/kde3 solution, as most Linux distros do
something similar with /usr/kde3 or /opt/kde3. Thus there's more support for
it.

> The one thing that concerns me is that we do have users who don't start KDE
> from kdm scripts, or even run a KdE desktop at all. Having the binaries in
> a non-standard path (either KDE3 or 4) is going to cause them problems.

There will be a crapload of binaries with the same name. Renaming them all
will be a major pain. But perhaps rename just startkde. Or put a kde[34].sh
under /usr/local/et	c.

I will have almost no time to work on anything for a couple of weeks.

--
David Johnson