[kde-freebsd] [HEADS UP] KDE 4.1.0 for FreeBSD available

David Johnson david at usermode.org
Tue Aug 12 18:29:48 CEST 2008

On Tuesday 12 August 2008 05:47:03 am Matthias Apitz wrote:
> I can't imagine that nobody has a just working hald config, just as an
> example; or should I ask in freebsd-hackers? how the FreeBSD KDE team
> asumes that people will switch to 4.1 if aparently nobody knows how to
> enable sound in FreeBSD 7.0R / KDE 4.1? :-)

My sound is working fine. It was working with KDE 3, and when I login to a KDE
4 desktop, it continues to work. Without more information on your sound card,
configuration, etc., it's hard to offer more help. Is sound already working
in KDE 3?

It sounds like your rc.conf is fine. Regardless of desktop, sound can
sometimes be hard to get working in FreeBSD. Please look in the FreeBSD
handbook, page 7.2 "Setting Uup the Sound Card".

KDE 4 users phonon, which in turn uses with xine (default) or gstreamer
backends. You may want to go to the Sound System Configuration page in system
settings, and change the backend to gstreamer, and try that.

--
David Johnson