[kde-freebsd] KDE4: (from KDE4: port stops in /usr/ports/print/libspectre)

mcassar marshc187 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 13:38:17 CEST 2008

> > On  this line of thoughts.. What is the simplest way to upgrade KDE 3
> > META Ports to the KDE 4 META port an what various conf files would be
> > wise to backup ?
>
> No need to do anything to upgrade, they coexist very well.
>
> User data files and configurations now go to ~/.kde4/ and nothing is
> migrated or trampled.
>
> Andy

about this, i wanted to to remove kde3 once kde4 was up and running, to clean
up my packages - and have two main questions.

firstly, i only removed the main packages which clearly say kde***-3.5.8 etc
and i'm not sure what else can go (qt3???). i used pkg_delete -> make
deinstall didn't work on kde3 meta port - didn't try individually.

second, i have two packages - amarok nd kaffeine that have kde3 packs as
dependencies (base3 or libs3 if not mistaken) and am now wondering if they
will install with only kde4 installed and if there is more ports like this at
the moment.

n.b. i am very new to freebsd and kde4 was a very big port for me to build -
but i figured the best way to get anywhere is catch up with smething fairly
new and see ppl iron things out. sorry if above seems too obvious to you ppl.

mc