[kde-freebsd] KDE-4.1.0 report

Matt Dawson matt at chronos.org.uk
Sun Aug 3 23:29:16 CEST 2008

> > 1) The system tray does not show any icons. It expands, but there's
> > nothing there. Changing the desktop theme to oxygen from elegance
> > gives the impression that they're off to the bottom of the system tray's
> > display space. Might seem trivial, but this makes Kmix, Juk and Kopete
> > almost impossible to interact with properly.
>
> hm, I have no problem with that, icons are just fine there? did a clean
> install without config dirs in the home dir.

First off, thanks for the reply.

The setup is exactly the same. In fact, the account was created manually in
YP's files and populated with just my usual .cshrc with a path addition to
encompass ${KDE4BASE}/bin. Nothing else on there at all.

You've now got me wondering if I should blitz it and try again (the very
reason I used a "clean" account), or possibly undo the NFS/NIS setup and try
on a local account. I'll do so tomorrow when I'm next in the workshop.

> > 2) Sound in Juk is hit'n'miss. Looks like it's a "feature" rather than a
> > bug, as there seems to be some fading in and out going on between
> > tracks. I personally preferred the old behaviour, but whatever floats
> > their boat. Might try Amarok when I can get the system tray working.
>
> I have my sound running, meanwhile, also. Seems to be some order you need
> to stick to during install.

Could be. Sound works fine, it's just Juk.

> Several times I deinstalled everything, cleaned homedir and /usr/local/kde4
> and rebuilt everything from fresh area51. I think last order was xine, then
> qt4 with no phonon, then multimedia/phonon and kde things afterwards
> beginning with kdelibs4.

Ah, I used the metaport and the packages my tinderbox built. Everything else
seems to work fine. It's just the few points I mentioned.

> Are you using another backend/player than xine? Once working, I had no
> issue with juk?

Nope, Xine is the backend that has priority. I did try gstreamer, with the
same result. It only occurs when I change track with next/previous (the
current track fades as the new track is already playing) and if I stop the
current track and select another, I get no output (actually, I get a little
burst of the track when I hit stop) until I restart Juk. Perhaps it may be a
good idea to list the system specs:

AMD Sempron 2800+ with SSE3 and amd64 extensions (the installation is i386);
Gigabyte GA-K8U S 754 motherboard, ULi 1689 chipset;
1GB DDR on one slot;
nVidia 6600GT AGP graphics, 256MB, AGP 3.0;
Creative SB Live! 5.1 using emu10k1 sound driver;
80GB WD HDD, DVD-RW, the usual;
7.0-SECURITY p2 updated using freebsd-update (wanted the most generic install
I could possibly have, so no make.conf twiddles, just a standard binary
install).

Doesn't seem to be much out of the ordinary up there. It's quite old hardware,
well tested and proven. The ULi's AGP bus makes nvidia-driver complain, but
it always has and I still get direct rendering. I usually compile
nvidia-driver to use the FreeBSD AGP on those boards, at which point
nvidia-settings reports AGP 8X instead of PCI as the bus type, but the note
about being as generic as possible applies.

I have had some issues with the emu10k1 driver in the past. Perhaps I'll also
try the snd_emu10kx driver, since it's just a quick tweak in loader.conf.
Unfortunately, these are the only discrete sound cards I have in the workshop
and the on-board Realtek ALC650 chipset isn't supported by snd_hda.

Thanks again. You've given me some things to try.
--
Matt Dawson.

matt at chronos.org.uk
MTD15-RIPE