[kde-freebsd] Problem with installation of kdebase-kompmgr-3.5.8

Dwayne MacKinnon dmk at ncf.ca
Wed Oct 31 16:54:10 CET 2007

Hi all,

Ran into a problem with the newest kompmgr when installing 3.5.8. I'm running
6.2-RELEASE-p8 on i386.

Here's the error message:

==>  Checking if x11-wm/kompmgr already installed
cd /usr/ports/x11-wm/kompmgr/work/kdebase-3.5.8/kwin/kompmgr &&
install -c -p '' -o root -g wheel -m 555 kompmgr /usr/local/bin/kompmgr
install: wrong number or types of arguments

I tracked it down to x11/kde3/Makefile.kde, in this section of code:

.if !defined(_NO_KDE_NDEBUG)
.if defined(PARALLEL_PACKAGE_BUILD) || !defined(WANT_KDE_DEBUG)
CONFIGURE_ARGS+=--disable-debug
.else
CONFIGURE_ARGS+=--enable-debug=full
STRIP=''
.endif # defined(PARALLEL_PACKAGE_BUILD) || !defined(WANT_KDE_DEBUG)
.endif # !defined(_NO_KDE_NDEBUG)

I have WANT_KDE_DEBUG defined in /etc/make.conf. So what appears to be
happening is that instead of STRIP being set to an empty string, it's being
treated as a macro and substituting the two single-quotes into the
INSTALL_PROGRAM variable in kompmgr/Makefile. (I checked in bsd.port.mk and
STRIP forms part of INSTALL_PROGRAM.)

Why this happens with kompmgr and no other kde packages I have no idea. (I'm
assuming that Makefile.kde is used elsewhere.)

Cheers,
Dwayne
--
I can't afford to make any exceptions. Once word leaks out that a pirate has
gone soft people start to disobey him and it's nothing but work, work, work