[kde-freebsd] Trouble with KMplayer

Gary Kline kline at tao.thought.org
Thu Nov 8 19:44:49 CET 2007

On Thu, Nov 08, 2007 at 10:18:34AM +0100, Michael Nottebrock wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 08, 2007 at 01:54:09AM +0100, Danny Pansters wrote:
> > On Wednesday 07 November 2007 02:25:29 Gary Kline wrote:
> > > 	Does anybody know why KMPlayer hangs when I try to play *.ram
> > > 	files?   mplayer handles there fine--at least in my music files.
> > > 	But when I try to listen to files such as found as
> > > 	"thewritersalamac.org", K/mplayer stops..  I set Konq to
> > > 	realplay-10 and it plays.
> > >
> > > 	Anybody??
> >

> > .ram refers to (ancient term) "Real Audio Meta" file. It's a text file
> > containing the actual media url(s). Looks like (k)mplayer doesn't support
> > these, or maybe it doesn't support it because the media type is .smil
> > (another container format) rather than merely .ra or .rv/.rm, the actual
> > audio/video data files.
>
> mplayer should be able to play these with the -playlist switch. kmplayer would need to do some parsing/guessing itself to call mplayer with that parameter. I cannot test it right now, but I think it should be able to do that - at least the kmplayer-kpart usually works quite well on embedded real media in konqueror.

		Then which things do i click on, or what strings do
		i add?  i found the "almanac" site, click on "use
		KMplayer", and after several seconds of fumbling,
		kmplayer simply hung up.  it stopped.

		Otherwise [k]mplayer works on any ttype of args.
		...Parsing problem?

		gary

  Gary Kline  kline at thought.org   www.thought.org  Public Service Unix