[kde-freebsd] Trunk on FreeBSD

Philip Rodrigues philip.rodrigues at lincoln.ox.ac.uk
Sat May 19 17:41:26 CEST 2007

Hi kde-freebsd (and Ade, specifically),

I've just built some of trunk on FreeBSD, and noticed several issues. I was
wondering if anyone had seen the same, or had any insight. I've managed to
work around all of them, but I suppose at least some of them are/could be
real porting issues, rather than just me being stupid, so here goes:

Problem:
	The kDebugBackend function in kdelibs/kdecore/io has some weird thread
issue . There's a warning in the file that it isn't threadsafe, and one of
mkretz's commits says that the current solution is temporary, so I suppose
this could be an actual problem. The exact behaviour I see is that apps (eg
kbuildsycoca4) just "stop" - no CPU usage, no output. Attaching gdb and
getting a bt just gives a handful of pthread_* calls. However, there's
another thread running, which has the actual KDE calls in.

Workaround:
	I just added a "return" at the beginning of that function, so it doesn't do
anything. Means I get no debug output, but at least apps do *something*

Problem:
	kbuildsycoca4 hangs with 100% CPU in the following circumstance: a .desktop
file is found containing a [$e] entry (ie, execute a command to get the value
for this config option). The specific instances are
$KDEDIR/share/services/randr.desktop and xinerama.desktop. The hang occurs at
kdelibs/kdecore/config/kconfiggroup.cpp:316. It looks as if QTextStream isn't
reading the EOL properly, and keeps reading the stream infinitely;  but a
little test program works fine. I suspect this one might be a local problem.

Workaround:
	Delete randr.desktop and xinerama.desktop

Problem:
	Something (KLibLoader?) tries to open $KDEDIR/lib/kde4/libkio_kfile.so when
the actual file is kio_kfile.so (no preceding "lib"). I suspect a local
problem.

Workaround:
	Create symlinks

Problem:
	(May be related to the previous problem). Running dolphin or konqueror
results in:
QLibrary::load_sys: Cannot load /usr/home/kdedev/install/lib/kde4/kio_file.so
(Shared object "libQtCore.so.4" not found, required by "libkio_file.so")

which is odd, because the directory containing libQtCore is in
LD_LIBRARY_PATH. It seems like klauncher isn't getting the environment
correctly.

Workaround:
	Set KDE_FORK_SLAVES=1

uname -a says:
FreeBSD hazelrah 6.0-STABLE FreeBSD 6.0-STABLE #2: Tue Jan  3 11:00:10 GMT
2006     root at hazelrah:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/HAZELRAH  i386

Hope some of this is useful to someone. I'm happy to report things upstream to
kde-core-devel if anyone thinks some of these could be real porting errors.

Regards,
Philip