[kde-freebsd] qt assumes /usr/X11R6

Michael Nottebrock lofi at freebsd.org
Tue May 8 17:00:24 CEST 2007

On Monday, 7. May 2007, Mikhail Teterin wrote:
> On Sunday 06 May 2007 12:16, Michael Nottebrock wrote:
> = > Actually qmake just needs a version bump, it correctly patches
> = > /usr/X11R6 to ${X11BASE} (except for the freebsd-g++34 script which we
> = > dont seem to use), so it needs to redo this now that X11BASE is
> = > changing.  flz has bumped this in git.  I am hoping we don't need to
> = > also bump everything that uses qmake since nothing copies this
> = > definition into its own files (which is the issue with .la files)
> =
> = Just bumping qmake should be fine, yes.
>
> Does not this mean bumping it for ALL x11-ports?

As I understand it, the update script for the X11R7 import will forcibly
update all ports with a dependency on X. Qmake technically doesn't depend on
the X libraries, but it does generate the initial configuration for Qt, which
does depend on the X libs, thus it needs to be rebuilt, but isn't
automatically caught by the script.

> Frankly, I find it to be a design flaw, that a change outside a port
> requires version/revision bumps of the port itself...

You can look at it that way, but the real flaw is in qmake/Qt then - the
mkspecs definitions are really a lame shortcut Trolltech took instead of
writing proper configure scripts. Hardwiring paths in there isn't even the
worst thing they do IMHO, the hardwiring of C(XX)FLAGS causes much more
confusion.

> Michael, if you are convinced, the bump is needed, please, do the honors...

I think it will be done for us once the X11R7 import happens.

Cheers,
   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi at freebsd.org