[kde-freebsd] Ghostscript conflict

Jason Bacon bacon at smithers.neuro.mcw.edu
Mon Mar 12 02:56:00 CET 2007

Hi all,

I ran into a small problem with the latest FreeBSD ports of kde3 and
ImageMagick.  It seems that when creating packages, certain components
of kde3 require ghostscript-gnu, while ImageMagick requires
ghostscript-afpl.  The two ghostscript ports conflict with each other.

Both kde3 and ImageMagick will install together, but "make
package-recursive" fails on whichever is installed second, due to the
differing dependencies.  Here's the tail of a "make package-recursive"
in ImageMagick after kde3 was installed first:

tar: share/ghostscript/8.54/lib/winmaps.ps: Could not stat: No such file
or directory
tar: share/ghostscript/8.54/lib/wrfont.ps: Could not stat: No such file
or directory
tar: share/ghostscript/8.54/lib/xlatmap: Could not stat: No such file or
directory
tar: share/ghostscript/8.54/lib/zeroline.ps: Could not stat: No such
file or directory
pkg_create: make_dist: tar command failed with code 256
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/print/ghostscript-afpl.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/print/ghostscript-afpl.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/graphics/ImageMagick.

The ImageMagick port finds the "gs" binary (installed by ghostscript-gnu
as a dependency of kde), and thus thinks its dependency is satisfied,
but then assumes that ghostscript-afpl is installed and tries to make a
package for it.

The temporary workaround I used is to disable both PS and PDF support in
ImageMagick via "make config".  This removes ghostscript-afpl as a
dependency.

Don't know if there's an easy solution.  If not, I'd suggest maybe
adding a warning to the options for PDF and PS support, or in
pre-everything, or whatever better ideas you might have.

Thanks for all your hard work on these ports.  Both of them are
indispensable to our research.

Regards,

    Jason