[kde-freebsd] ports/113295: net-im/kopete: pleawse add 'make config' to choose kopete plugins to install

Michael Nottebrock lofi at freebsd.org
Thu Jun 21 18:30:06 CEST 2007

On Monday, 18. June 2007, Daniel W. Steinbrook wrote:

> If a user were to build all 10 protocols and 16
> plugins, this would involve rebuilding libkopete 27 times, although it
> would only be installed once. For the binary packages, of course, this
> won't be a problem, since they'll just get the installed files, which are
> not at all duplicated. So much for the goal of saving build time. Is there
> a more efficient way to do this?

Usually there isn't, unless you'd patch the autogenerated Makefiles to use an
installed libkopete and headers instead (if all the necessary headers do
actually get installed) or write your own Makefile for each plugin from
scratch like devel/qmake/files/Makefile.bsd (the original Qt distribution
builds qmake from the configure script). You can try that if you like, but
I'd be fine with building the redundant code in each port (true source-code
junkies can and should run ccache).

> Second: there are some hidden protocols and plugins -- that is, they are
> present as directories in the source tarball, but they don't build by
> default, at least not in the current kopete port. The Meanwhile protocol
> seems to need a separate library download (there is a README file in its
> directory), and I can't figure out what the smpppd plugin is supposed to
> do. I also can't figure out why the SMS protocol is not set to build with
> the monolithic kopete. What should be done with these mystery plugins?

My personal stance would be that they're omissible. If you'd like to try and
get them to work though, feel free to do so. :)

> Third: which plugins/ports should be enabled by default in the OPTIONS?

For the sake of avoiding unpleasant surprises for users during the
transition - all of them.

Cheers,
   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi at freebsd.org