[kde-freebsd] BEL (primarily for vi).

Gary Kline kline at tao.thought.org
Mon Jul 23 01:02:53 CEST 2007

	Apologies for the triple postings, but this is general enough
	for the -questions list and aimed at the gnome list.  It
	includes a query for the KDE list.

	I just opened a "konsole", the KDE-hacked xterm, IIRC.  I had the
	BEL set to "system bell" and as with "terminals", vi/vim/and
	other bell-type things just flashed the screen at me.  I do have
	full-screen flash set up in my Gnome menu settings.  Nothing I
	can do gets the .WAV bell to work under gnome.  Long-story-short,
	just for the heck of it, I tried the next "bell" selection and
	YES my bell is back when I use vi/nvi/vim.  It sounds a bit
	strange, but at least it is audible.  I watch my keyboard and
	fingers when I type--if I'm not coding--so hearing the bell when
	I type ESC lets me know absolutely that I'm in command mode.

	,My questions: why does this fake (wav) bell work under KDE and
	not Gnome?  The desktop ports are pretty close to identical here
	(FBSD) as with the Ubuntu fork of Debian.  Just FYI.    Another
	question is: why is the natural system spkr disabled in
	at least the Gnome and KDE managers?  What was the rational?
	In other words, isn't there some default setting that could go
	into every /boot/loader.conf that would let both the external
	audio speakers and the dinky system speaker work?  The Linux
	kernel may not have this capability; I don't know.  That's why
	these questions.

	thanks for any insights, guys.  this is enough to make me want to
	jump back into serious hacking ...  well, almost:)

	gary

--
  Gary Kline  kline at thought.org   www.thought.org  Public Service Unix