[kde-freebsd] issues with most recent KDE

Mikhail Teterin mi at bonkers.video-collage.com
Sun Jul 8 08:56:49 CEST 2007

Hello!

I installed the latest KDE on a new FreeBSD machine recently. Here are
some of the issues I'm having with the setup:

	1. kdm: although a few local users are configured to be
	   allowed in without a password, kdm would not let anybody
	   in without one. Accounts without passwords at all are
	   not allowed at all -- even though null (empty) passwords
	   are allowed in kdmrc.

	2. kdm: if the X-server is killed (such as by pressing
	   Ctrl-Del->Backspace), kdm will not restart it. It will
	   simply report something like "lost connection to server"
	   and do nothing...

	3. kmail: when talking to an IMAP server with bogus certificate
	   (self-signed and issued to a different hostname), kmail
	   duly asks the user, if they want to accept the certificate.
	   If the user says "yes", they are prompted, whether they
	   accept it for now, or for ever.

	   Even if the user clicks "Forever", they still get prompted
	   next time kmail is started.

	4. I wanted to enable the keyboard layouts to switch between
	   Ukrainian, Russian, and English. Unfortunately, the "layouts"
	   pane in Kontrol Center (under "Localization and Accessibility"->
	   "Keyboard Layouts") remained EMPTY, even after I clicked on
	   "Enable layouts" checkbox.

	   What package should I add/reinstall to have they layouts there?

Thanks for advice. Yours,

	-mi