[kde-freebsd] parallelizing the build of Qt, etc.

Mikhail Teterin mi+mill at aldan.algebra.com
Thu Aug 23 00:54:39 CEST 2007

середа 22 серпень 2007 06:40 по, Mark Linimon Ви написали:
> The problem is that it is easy to add parallelization that "nearly"
> works.  We need to figure out a fool-proof way rather than a quick
> way, so that we don't have to deal with problem reports about the
> edge cases forever.

You need to make it possible for each maintainer to declare their port as
"parallel safe". The end-users should be able to prevent such parallelization
from taking effect as well as to overwrite the actual number of parallel
streams (which should default to some derivation of the number of
processors).

Once you do that, declaring each port as safe -- and dealing with the
edge-cases -- will be up to the maintainers. There really is no other way.

The most-recently discussed PR is an acceptable way to move forward. The
actual work on providing the framework is trivial... Turning the individual
ports over will be harder, but that -- again -- can only be done by the
maintainers.

Yours,

 -mi