[kde-freebsd] problem hal - k3b ?

Danny Pansters danny at ricin.com
Thu Apr 19 23:55:12 CEST 2007

On Thursday 19 April 2007 22:47:08 Richard Kuhns wrote:
> On Thursday 19 April 2007 12:12, Michael Nottebrock wrote:
> > On Wednesday, 18. April 2007, Beni wrote:
> > > Hi List,
> > >
> > > I think I have a problem with hal(d) and k3b (version 1.0 from ports) :
> > > my whole system freezes when starting up k3b. I get the splash screen
> > > and then it all stops and a ctrl-alt-del is the only way out.
> >
> > Other people have reported kernel panics. It looks to me like k3b's
> > device probing and hald's device probing at the same time manages to
> > tickle a bug in ata(4).
> >
> > Ref:
> > http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2007-April/070753.html
> > http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2007-April/034486.html
> >
> > I'm afraid a true kernel hacker will have to inconvenince themselves with
> > running k3b and hal in order to have this one fixed. FWIW, I haven't seen
> > in happening on 5.5.
> >

> > Cheers,
>
> FWIW: I've been running with a kernel from Jan 22 with no problem. I built
> and installed a new kernel/world today and can't run k3b as described
> above. I've since reverted to my old kernel and everything's fine again.
> 	- Rich

I haven't used k3b for a while but I do have problems with kscd,
kaudiocreator, and amarok CD playing.

I'm running -stable from Feb 26 and latest kde and CD contents are only
properly seen if you first insert the cd, then wait, and then choose the app
from the "hal" menu (which takes several seconds to pop up). But even then
ripping seems to deadlock, it just hangs and does nothing after you queue and
start, and kscd/amarok don't play anything. Amarok merely shows the titles
briefly. Both with self-made CDs and  official audio CDs. It's possible that
my DVD player/recorder is just dying but I'm afraid we're having a more
general regression here.

Dan