[kde-freebsd] problem hal - k3b ?

Richard Kuhns rjk at wintek.com
Thu Apr 19 22:47:08 CEST 2007

On Thursday 19 April 2007 12:12, Michael Nottebrock wrote:
> On Wednesday, 18. April 2007, Beni wrote:
> > Hi List,
> >
> > I think I have a problem with hal(d) and k3b (version 1.0 from ports) :
> > my whole system freezes when starting up k3b. I get the splash screen and
> > then it all stops and a ctrl-alt-del is the only way out.
>
> Other people have reported kernel panics. It looks to me like k3b's device
> probing and hald's device probing at the same time manages to tickle a bug
> in ata(4).
>
> Ref:
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2007-April/070753.html
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2007-April/034486.html
>
> I'm afraid a true kernel hacker will have to inconvenince themselves with
> running k3b and hal in order to have this one fixed. FWIW, I haven't seen
> in happening on 5.5.
>

> Cheers,

FWIW: I've been running with a kernel from Jan 22 with no problem. I built and
installed a new kernel/world today and can't run k3b as described above. I've
since reverted to my old kernel and everything's fine again.
	- Rich
--
Richard Kuhns                   Wintek Corporation
E-mail: rjk at wintek.com          427 N 6th Street