[kde-freebsd] media mounting

Michael Nottebrock lofi at freebsd.org
Thu Apr 12 14:46:16 CEST 2007

On Thursday, 12. April 2007, Andrei Kolu wrote:
> On Thursday 12 April 2007 01:32, Maxim Samsonov wrote:
> > On Wednesday 11 April 2007 09:01:12 David Johnson wrote:
> > > For some reason, automatic media mounting doesn't work any more. If I
> > > insert a CD, DVD or flash drive, nothing happens and they don't show up
> > > under media:/. Any hints as to what part I need to fix?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> >
> > If you mean automatic media mounting controlled through media
> > property dialog, you can backup then remove
> > ~/.kde/share/config/mediamanagerrc and try to reenable
> > auto mounting.
> > On the other hand, if newly inserted media does not show up
> > in media:/ at all, you should check executing of daemons needed
> > for the HAL to work properly or even restart them. These daemons
> > are for: DBUS, PolicyKit and HAL.
>
> Fat16/32 partitions won't show up with HALd- don't know why (actually I do
> but I don't want to start flamewar with GPL zealots). Can we fix this issue
> without disturbing Linux guys?

Works for me (both on fixed and removable media). FWIW, if you encounter any
issues with HAL which are reproducable without the media:/ kioslave, contact
the HAL port maintainers (gnome at freebsd.org) directly (cc'ing KDE is okay).

The sysutils/hal-device-manager port is quite handy for 'getting a second,
non-KDE opinion' about what HAL detects on your system, including volumes,
and it is much less hard to read than the commandline utilities provided by
the hal port itself.

   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi at freebsd.org