D19565: kconfig_compiler: new kcfgc args HeaderExtension & SourceExtension

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Thu Sep 16 20:27:03 BST 2021

kossebau added a comment.

  In D19565#678804 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D19565#678804>, @alex wrote:

  > However the option seems pretty unused, even from a github search: https://github.com/search?q=HeaderExtension%3D+extension%3Akcfgc&type=Code&ref=advsearch&l=&l=

  In comparison to how many non KDE users of kconfigcompiler? ;) Also is github only giving a partial view of the world with htose fine with MS GitHub or having put their code in public anyway. After all KF is LGPL, to allow in-house/proprietary use. And those often have their subcultures using their own peferred suffices, I found :) ).

  >> KF targets also consumers outside of KDE spheres
  >
  > Also I think there are currently quite a lot of kcfgc options, which makes is more difficult to work with IMHO. That might also be more true for third party users which are not very familiar with the API.

  Can you report any who were confused by those rather straightforward options? I would expect almost all are not challenged by those bits, removing them should not imrpive their experience a lot. Do we have reports/research?

  > Though from having a quick look it seems like (pretty much all) of those headers are not using any of KDE/Qt libs. Which means that they would not be a very likely audience anyways.

  I was giving you examples of what C++ developers use. And it's C++ developer who are the primary target of our libraries, as everyone else has a hard time due to no real bindings.

  > If we want to attract our frameworks to more users, making them slimmer is also a possibility one needs to consider.

  I would not agree that cutting features and reducing flexibility makes things more attractive to others. Rather the opposite. Why using a primitive solution that only partially fits when one can instead do a home-grown perfect fit with full control...

REPOSITORY
  R237 KConfig